Re: [LUG] OT: 64bit Flash Player

On 21/08/10 21:20, tom brough wrote:
On 21/08/10 12:55, Rob Beard wrote:
On 20/08/10 22:35, tom brough wrote:

Surely flash is irrelevant with the conception of HTML5?

Not entirely, it would require millions of web sites to make HTML5
versions available, and since a whole load of people still use IE6 it's
not going to happen overnight.

Rob

I think the point(s) I am making are:

1. Why would adobe continue to support a product that's going to be
obsolete sooner or later. Its not going to be in their interests to
develop and support 64bit versions if HTML5 overtakes, or shrinks their
market considerably. Long time till that happens agreed, but it will.
I think the trouble is more that Adobe are simply not capable of writing the code. A bit like MS with Arm - both have lost the knowledge of the core of their product and can not find anyone with the youth and machine code knowledge to fill the gaps.
2. With everything that flash does built into html5 as "standard" won't
this make it harder to switch off flash like replacements. At least with
flash plugins you could choose not to plug in.

HTML5 will only work as a replacement if the flash elements have an
alternative "non-flash" option just like img tag has alt so that the
image can be described to (for example) blind people who cant use
images. I suspect that rules will be broken, history will repeat it
self, bad practices will continue in web page construction and
ultimately the web browser will become that bit more bloated and
inaccessible to those who do not have the bandwidth and those who can
not process (blind, deaf, disabled) these "new" forms of media ....
I worked for a council as accessibility 'guru'. It was fairly easy to show that if you served content first in accessible form - the 'need' for flash (as in bells and whistles) disappeared.
Ok I'm starting to sound like an old man, and I do love technology, but
only when its in its rightful place.

ho hum bloated bandwidth hogging browsers here we come.
Not the browsers - the sites! You can point lynx at a 4G text file and it will hog as much bandwidth as you've got!
Tom te tom te tom