Re: [LUG] OT: 8 port ADSL router recommendation

Rob Beard wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a router with 8 ethernet ports on it, usually it's a maximum of 4 (or 5 if it's a cable router). Not saying you can't get one, but maybe you'd need to be looking at something like this...

We'll live with less if it actually does some routing for us.

Only router I've successfully got 8 IPs (with 5 actual useable IPs) is a Thompson Speedtouch Home which was just an ADSL modem to Ethernet.

I'm getting the impression you basically tell the ADSL routers to bridge, when you actually want them to do some routing - sigh.

Maybe Gordon might be able to advise about Draytek's which he uses/recommends.

Wireless - not needed.
IPv6 support desirable.

So that's probably most if not all consumer grade routers out the window then :-)

Nah some do IPv6, and Wireless being present isn't a problem, we just don't need it.