Re: [LUG] OT: 8 port ADSL router recommendation

On 16/08/10 12:07, Simon Waters wrote:
Want a router that can handle 8 public IP addresses (IPv4), and ideally
one with 8 ethernet ports (but not essential) so that most of them can
be kept separate physically.

I don't think I've ever seen a router with 8 ethernet ports on it, usually it's a maximum of 4 (or 5 if it's a cable router). Not saying you can't get one, but maybe you'd need to be looking at something like this...

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12176

Granted this doesn't have an ADSL modem built in, although I guess you could maybe use something like a Draytek modem in bridge mode?

One of these ports will have NAT on, but likely the firewalling and
hence that NAT will be done with a GNU/Linux box. So that is not the
routers problem.

Other idea, could you get a PCI ADSL modem (I believe you can now even get ADSL2+ PCI modems which are supported on Linux/*BSD/etc) and maybe a couple of quad network cards or 4 dual port network cards?

Quad port PCI NIC - http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11149

Okay it's not going to be Home/SoHo router priced but then again I doubt you'd be able to get anything that is an exact fit anyway (not unless you're willing to spend more)

Idea is an Office network, and a selection of exposed or DMZ boxes.

I can do the networking many ways.

But ideally I'd have an ADSL router with good status reporting, good
traffic shaping, ideally a little bit of traffic monitoring.

Failing that any solid router than accepts 8 IP addresses and will
forward them on to my firewall. And any reasons for recommendation.

Only router I've successfully got 8 IPs (with 5 actual useable IPs) is a Thompson Speedtouch Home which was just an ADSL modem to Ethernet.

Maybe Gordon might be able to advise about Draytek's which he uses/recommends.

Wireless - not needed.
IPv6 support desirable.

So that's probably most if not all consumer grade routers out the window then :-)

Rob