Re: [LUG] Wifi printer

On 12/08/10 11:00, tom wrote:

Printers are for print companies - not for consumers!

1) Dont get a colour printer - you dont need one. We can look at all out
photos on screen and if we do need to print a few to send to stone age
relatives then most print services are cheaper than a single cartridge
for a colour printer that will block up after using it twice when you
first get it and then leaving it unused for a couple of months!
2) Check on freecycle - I've been using a brother 5050 (B&W) that I
picked up 4 years ago - works perfectly for all things needed to send
elsewhere.
Cost £3.99 for a usb<->parallel converter to plug it in to my server.
Hasn't run out of toner yet...

If you do feel the need for a colour printer I'd make sure I can get
cheap refillable cartridges for it

Tom te tom te tom

As a final note on this....

I originally wrote about getting a new printer because I had just replaced the colour cartridge (compatible) in my Epson inkjet printer. I installed a proper Epson cartridge in its place. No colour at all!!

Taking advice I purchased a cleaning cartridge and ran that through according to the instructions. Nothing. Only the black ink was working.

As a final try I ordered another compatible colour cartridge which arrived today. I have just installed that. Perfect! All the colours are working just fine. So, for the moment, a new printer is on hold.

There's a moral there somewhere,

Thankfully

Neil