Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On 03/08/10 08:56, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 02/08/10 11:50, Rob Beard wrote:
On 02/08/10 08:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/08/10 16:07, Rob Beard wrote:

I've never thought about having FTP facilities in a browser, at least
not for uploading stuff. I've generally used an FTP client.

Rob

This is what puzzles me. If I want to look at the files on my website I
use a browser (Firefox). It seemed obvious to me that, if I want to move
files between my website and my own computer, then I should use the
browser.

When I use FireFTP the screen is divided into two columns. On the left I
see all the folders and files on my hard disk. On the right I see all
the folders and files on my website. There is a simple way to transfer
files (copy or move) one way or the other.

To me that is so completely the obvious way to to it. That is why I
expected to find similar utilities in other browsers. And that is what
started this thread off.

But as you say, you installed the FireFTP addon, so it isn't a standard feature of Firefox. So it was a bit unfair to expect Chrome and Opera to have functionality that Firefox doesn't have by default.

All three browsers however do have FTP downloading support (if you go to an FTP site you'll get a text listing of the files on the FTP server and you'll be able to click a link to download the files).

The only odd one out at least that I know of is Internet Explorer which can as other browsers give a text listing of files (which isn't a default option in IE6, not sure about IE7 and IE8) or a Windows Explorer window to the site where you can upload and download files. But in the great Windows fashion with it being so integrated it can show down Windows Explorer.

Of course, if I simply need to download files from a website to my
computer then I use one of the choices from right clicking the mouse. Or
sometimes files are set up to download automatically.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the help from everyone who has replied. I will
at least look at filezilla.

No problem, it is a pretty good FTP client on Windows, haven't tried it on Linux but I expect it'll be just as good.

Rob