Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On 02/08/10 11:50, Rob Beard wrote:
On 02/08/10 08:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/08/10 16:07, Rob Beard wrote:

I've never thought about having FTP facilities in a browser, at least
not for uploading stuff. I've generally used an FTP client.

Rob

I would like to thank all those who have replied to this thread. I am
learning a lot, and I am very pleased that I started it. Because I found
and have always used FireFTP in Firefox I just assumed that it was a
normal situation to have such a facility as part of a browser. Now it
seems that, once again, I am wrong.

In that case perhaps people could suggest what I should be using
instead. I have never looked any further than FireFTP. I do regularly
move files to and from my own computer and my website. What sort of
program should I be using please? Any recommendations, and explanation
as to why it is better, would be gratefully received.

Well as I mentioned, I use gftp, I chose this simply because it's the first package I found that had a GUI interface (I could use the command line FTP package or even wget if I wanted but for things like this I prefer a command line interface).

Someone else mentioned FileZilla.  I've not used it on Linux myself but I have used it on Windows and I can recommend it, it's a great program (and I see it's now in the Ubuntu repositories too, so I'll probably give it a try).

I'm not sure if it's possible to just browse to an FTP site using Nautilus but I'm guessing that it would be possible in Konqueror or Dolphin on KDE.

Rob

You can use Nautilus but it's not that good and still needs a lot of work. Konqueror seems pretty good under KDE (i'm more of a GNOME person). I've used gftp and FileZilla in the past and find myself using FileZilla more (no specific reason I can think of).

Cheers

Gibbs