Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

> I never had this problem with my old BT Vision box.  The problem I did have
> was running out of hard drive space :-)

Doesnt BT Vision use the internet mostly for getting its programs,
hence the on demand business?
This was how another BT Vision customer explained it to me, I've never
actually seen or used one.

> For a while I had a TV booster box attached to the TV aerial connection
> (granted this was a new aerial which was a digital high gain aerial [1]
> fitted on the roof).  We were getting a pretty good signal as it was, I then
> tried it without the booster and it still worked fine.  This was pointing to
> the Beacon Hill transmitter in Marldon.

It was good up until the last retune (When they stopped sending
Virgin1+1), now its just frustrating at times.

> When getting the aerial and satellite dish installed I did a bit of reading
> up, it suggested that it was a good idea to replace the cable and aerial
> every 10 years or so and to use decent quality cable.  I'm not sure how much
> difference this made, but we can run a Freeview box, Freeview card and a TV
> with built in Freeview tuner from the one cable with just a cable splitter
> and it works fine.  Even worked fine with the BT Vision box too.
>
> I'd say if you are getting the poor performance as you suggest then maybe
> you could do with speaking to an aerial installer, they might be able to
> suggest ways to fix it.

I'll suggest it to Dad when finances arent so tight. Thanks.

> My next PVR will be a MythTV box.  I figured with a satellite card or two
> and a couple of Freeview sticks it should cover all the TV viewing needs for
> everyone in the house.

Sat Cards for freesat, right? Or is there some way to also pick up the
paid for channels? (I'm not asking how to pirate Sky, In case anyones
worried, more if your paying, can you use mythTV to get em)