Re: [LUG] Firefox and other browsers

On 01/08/10 11:35, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:29:41 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

Sometime I see advice to try browsers other than Firefox. The most
common suggestions are Opera and Chrome.

Well, I have been using Opera occasionally for years and I have tried
Chrome recently. There is one problem though. I have my own website
and I often need, through my browser, to link my hard drive to the
website to be able to move files one way or the other.

In firefox I use fireftp which works a treat. I have not found
anything like that in either Opera or Chrome. While that is the case
I will continue with FF and ignore the other two.

Or am I missing something? How can people recommend those two
browsers when such a simple requirement is missing?

Neil

*You* need FireFTP (ie direct FTP upload capabilities from within the
browser).  *I* don't.  I am quite happy with Chrome.  I am quite happy
to recommend Chrome to people.

Never forget that what might be an absolutely-positively-must-have
feature for you could be something that someone else never even looks
at.

Grant.

I was going to say, um... what? FireFTP?  Never heard of it!

I just use gftp to upload stuff, but then again I don't really make changes to my web site.

Chrome does have an expanding array of plugins available, maybe not as many as Firefox but chances are you can probably find something that offers similar sort of features as FireFTP.

Until recently the one thing that annoyed me about Chrome was the lack of decent Adblocking plugin although now Adblock Plus (or whatever it's called in Firefox) has been made available for Chrome so I have been using it a bit more.

As far as Opera goes, not really used that on the desktop but I do have it on my phone and use it regularly on there as it's a great improvement over the poor (but usable) Nokia e63 web browser.

I agree with Grant though, just because something doesn't have a feature you use, don't make it crap. For instance my LCD TV doesn't have VGA inputs (HDMI only) which I find a bit frustrating but it doesn't make it a crap TV though and I'd still recommend it.

Rob