Re: [LUG] Broadband via satellite

If you use satellite transponders intended for broadcast you need another some way to send packets in the other direction with the complication that you have radically different latencies in either direction. Also the downlink bandwidth is going to be shared with
potentially a lot of people.

Using a satellite phone may be no better, even worst, than using a regular mobile network.

I had a friend that was using satellite to get their internet connection. This was in Canada and 7-8 years ago, but I don't think it'll be much different here/now. Like Gordon said, the latency is incredibly high though the downspeed was pretty good (for the time). For an uplink, they were using dial-up.

So it was good for browsing and reading mail, but that was about it. Still, they were deep in the countryside, there was nothing else on offer.