Re: [LUG] Broadband via satellite

On 29/07/10 10:56, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Recently there has been much activity on the list about broadband in
this country. Rural areas seem to have the most problems. Now I don't
know much about it, but I am wondering what is the current situation re
satellite broadband?

It would seem to me to be one solution for people who are a long way
from any exchange etc. But then, what do I know.

If you use satellite transponders intended for broadcast you need another some way to send packets in the other direction with the complication that you have radically different latencies in either direction. Also the downlink bandwidth is going to be shared with
potentially a lot of people.

Using a satellite phone may be no better, even worst, than using a regular mobile network.