Re: [LUG] Possible solution for faster broadband to rural areas

On 28/07/10 21:31, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Multiplexing data down fibre isn't an issue - getting fibre laid in the
> first place is the issue )-:

The economics of which are widely documented elsewhere, although the
costs go down annually.

What amazes me is the investment that companies like Virgin Media can
afford on relatively low margins to lay fibre down streets in towns.
This simply isn't happening in rural areas, so some definition of rural,
which currently includes our village. As such the best hope here for
broadband beyond 8Mbps is BT upgrading the exchange. Similarly none of
the LLU folk seem interested, which is presumably down to BT charges
rather than the basic economics.