Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On 28/07/10 20:54, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 28/07/10 16:38, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> On 28/07/10 13:54, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Anyone got any recommendations regarding usb external hard disks,  size
>>> about 500 to 1 tb would work fine for me,  as a back up tool
>>>
>>> I take it most of these devices should just work with Linux,  i see on
>>> boxes it says designed for PC / MAC.
>>>
>>> Just wondered what experiences people and if any should be avoided due
>>> to being poor quality build.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> Thanks for the recommendations looks like i may go with a western
>> digital one, they have them in PC world / Currys in Torquay.
>>
>> I am looking at building a new computer anyway based on low powered dual
>> atom system,
>>
>> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12678
>>
>> is a bare bones system, to which i need to add hard disk, ram and a
>> optical device (dvd rw).
>>

> By the looks of the spec it comes with a DVD-RW drive.  Not a bad price,
> I've seen cheaper but they don't tend to come with an optical drive, or
> the case is too small for an optical drive (meaning you'd need an
> external USB drive).

yeah i noticedf that too, after i wrote most of the e-mail

> You will need to add a 2.5" laptop size hard drive, I'd suggest getting
> one from somewhere like eBuyer.com, you can pick them up from about £30
> (for a 120GB 5400 RPM drive).  Personally I've got a 320GB 2.5" SATA
> drive in my laptop, cost me about £45 and being 7200RPM it's as quick as
> a desktop drive.

no problem

> By the way, is there any specific reason why you're going for something
> so small?

my current system has 4 5 1/4" drive bays 2 of which are used up with
optical drives out of which I only ever use the dvdrw.

smaller system = less footprint on desk, lighter, plus no longer need
the space for a 3.5" floppy disk,

I am however open to suggestions,  I simply don't need a huge tower
case, for what I use my system for. which is

internet
irc
e-mail
open office
lyx (latex front end)

and er thats about it really,  i guess witha faster system i may play
games more often but probably won't  i still have my system dual boot to
9.04,  when i used 9.04 all the time, i had games installed and never
used them.  well i played wesnoth 3 times in a few months at the most.

> If size isn't an issue you can pickup a barebones Atom system for about
> £70 ish in a Midi Tower case which would take a standard 3.5" hard drive
> and 5.25" DVDRW drive.
>

>> oddly its the same clock speed as my current duron 1600 which is at
>> least 6 years old if not older,  I guess as this is dual core, its
>> faster,
>>

> From what I've read the performance is similar to a dual processor
> Pentium 4 1.6GHz.  I guess depending on what applications you run it
> might be faster than your Duron.  The advantage of the Atom is that
> it'll be lower power saving you money on your electricity bill.

Yay cool. so much much faster then,

--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th August 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse, Paignton,
Next Holsworthy Meeting -  Saturday 21st August @ The White Hart,

Thursday 22nd Tea Party 2pm - 5pm
Saturday 31st Salsa Night 8pm - 12:30
please e-mail devonmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more details.

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON