Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:59:13 +0100
tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello tom,

> You'll find most devices are NTFS formatted - they will work with
> linux quite happily but you'll have to
>   mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1  /yourmountpoint

Like John, I've not had to do that in ages (read; years), using KDE or
XFCE.  Ironically, when I reformatted one of the drive(s) to ext3, I had
to mount it by hand.

Of course, if you want it to come up at a specific mount point in an
existing structure, then yes, you'll have to mount it overriding any
default rules to put it in /mount or /media.

--
 Regards  _
The man in a tracksuit attacks me