Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 13:54 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone got any recommendations regarding usb external hard disks,  size
> about 500 to 1 tb would work fine for me,  as a back up tool
>
> I take it most of these devices should just work with Linux,  i see on
> boxes it says designed for PC / MAC.
>
> Just wondered what experiences people and if any should be avoided due
> to being poor quality build.

Hello,

I use a Western Digital 500GB 'MyBook' USB drive at home for backups and
other odds and ends. I have had it for over a couple of years now, and
had no problems at all. Works fine with Linux (Fedora).

I should add that we use the same at work, and I know of no-one in our
team having had any problems with the drive. The ones at work are left
on all the time, mine at home is stopped and started most days. Not sure
you can buy the 500GB now though, you may need to get a 1TB or more.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
University of Plymouth, UK   Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001