Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 13:59 +0100, tom wrote:
> On 28/07/10 13:54, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Anyone got any recommendations regarding usb external hard disks,  size
> > about 500 to 1 tb would work fine for me,  as a back up tool
> >
> > I take it most of these devices should just work with Linux,  i see on
> > boxes it says designed for PC / MAC.
> >
> > Just wondered what experiences people and if any should be avoided due
> > to being poor quality build.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> You'll find most devices are NTFS formatted - they will work with linux
> quite happily but you'll have to
>   mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1  /yourmountpoint

I've not had to do that in years, at least not on Ubuntu that I have
been running and I imagine thats same for most distro's?

Maybe I had to apt-get install ntfs-3g on earlier Ubuntu's, I can't
recall properly but certainly not on the last 3 or so releases for sure.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides