Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 01:02, Julian Hall wrote:

> The phrase 'tell me something I don't know' springs to mind.  The real
> question is how many of these identical reports are we going to see
> before they actually DO something about this?  In any other industry,
> e.g. gas/electric suppliers the company(ies) would have been fined for
> misselling their products months, if not years ago.

I think the question is "how should they market it?". I don't think the
vendors are miss-selling in that sense - the products offered can
connect at the higher speeds and they all state that it is the best
speed attainable.

If I sell a broadband product that has a range of speeds from 20Mbps to
0Mbps, and I refund or change the offer if you don't get 8Mbps, what
should I label it? "8 to 20Mbps"

Remember it may well be 20Mbps one way, and a fraction of that the other
way. "8 to 20Mbps, 0.256Mbps to 4Mbps upload".

It is likely contended for residential use, probably 20:1 or 50:1. "8 to
20Mbps down, 0.256Mbps to 4 Mbps up, contended download 50:1, contended
upload 10:1, performance subject to condition, traffic shaped to
discourage file sharing, usage capped during peak hours" isn't a snappy
product description.