Re: [LUG] Traffic Monitor with schedule awareness

On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 10:43 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:54:27 +0100
> John Williams wrote:
>
> > My ISP has just decided to implement a FUP, I am borderline for ending
> > up in trouble with it during "peak" hours.
> >
> > Does any one know of a traffic monitor that is aware of scheduling and
> > can either monitor only 8am until midnight, or output two different
> > stats, peak and off peak usage.
> >
> > I really would prefer a console solution as I can then script from it
> > easier.
> >
> > Previously I was using Vnstat with some custom scripts I wrote to
> > track the pesky rolling 30day tracking Demon uses. That doesn't have
> > facility to differentiate schedules though.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I found this on the website mentioned by Henry in the 24-port switch
> thread:
>
> http://raf.org/broadband-usage/
>
> May not be suitable and may need hacking to work as per your
> requirements, but I thought it was interesting.

Thanks Grant, I have installed snmp and broadband-usage. It appears to
work on a calendar month, and I am not sure how accurate the snmp
reporting is on my consumer netgear. The fact it is in a hidden page you
need to directly access rather than through the normal interface makes
me believe its probably not great.

Currently After leaving it going for 45mins I have no data, maybe it
only gives an output after one day though.

In the mean time I am continuing to try and fix my vnstat scripts to be
aware of the peak time. If anyone else is good at scripting and wants to
take a peek then they are at www.fxp.demon.co.uk/rdnm

rdnmcron runs at 11:59 currently to take the days total
rdnm is the main one to call for output.

I figured it would need a separate cron job to get the 8am total from
midnight, then log it (with date to check at 11:59) then deduct the 8am
one from the 11:59 for peak/offpeak... Maybe, I'm just not good enough I
think.

I also asked on vnstat forums about a way to only log vnstat between 8am
and midnight, I would lose offpeak amounts but at least have peak. No
reply as yet and I don't think the new daemon system for it will do it,
maybe again.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides