Re: [LUG] Laser printer recommendations

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:11:38 +0100
Paul Hirst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My trusty old HP LaserJet 6L is going to run out of toner some time
> soon and I figure I should upgrade. I thought I'd ask here because I
> want something which works out of the box with Linux without any
> messing about.
>
> I really really want duplex printing. Wireless or ethernet
> connectivity would be nice although not essential. Cheep to run is
> important and cheep to buy is fairly important. Colour would be nice
> but I doubt I'm willing to spend very much to get it. I guess I want
> to spend around Â200 but I realise sometimes there is a gulf between
> what you want to spend and what you should spend ;-)
>
> My research so far took me to an HP printer with wired ethernet, so I
> expected to be able to send it postscript or PCL over the network.
> However reading around a little more I've seen it described as a
> modern day 'winprinter'. Ie the output is rasterized on the client
> and sent to the printer over some funky protocol I'd never heard of.
> Apparently it can be made to work under Linux,  but that all makes me
> a little nervous so I thought I'd ask your advice.
>
> So, anyone bought a laser recently and have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks.

Not quite up-to your spec, but at Â80 (several years ago) I couldn't
complain.  Samsung ML4500 - mono laser printer ('parallel printer
connection), natty little Intel print server, manual duplex (ie take
paper out, feed it back in yourself). :D  Toner cartridges are a pain,
but they last well.  Works with Penguin Power out of the box.

Grant.