[LUG] Laser printer recommendations

Hi,

My trusty old HP LaserJet 6L is going to run out of toner some time soon and I figure I should upgrade. I thought I'd ask here because I want something which works out of the box with Linux without any messing about.

I really really want duplex printing. Wireless or ethernet connectivity would be nice although not essential. Cheep to run is important and cheep to buy is fairly important. Colour would be nice but I doubt I'm willing to spend very much to get it. I guess I want to spend around Â200 but I realise sometimes there is a gulf between what you want to spend and what you should spend ;-)

My research so far took me to an HP printer with wired ethernet, so I expected to be able to send it postscript or PCL over the network. However reading around a little more I've seen it described as a modern day 'winprinter'. Ie the output is rasterized on the client and sent to the printer over some funky protocol I'd never heard of. Apparently it can be made to work under Linux,  but that all makes me a little nervous so I thought I'd ask your advice.

So, anyone bought a laser recently and have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.