Re: [LUG] OT: Disappearing hardware?

On 26/06/10 11:53, Rob Beard wrote:
On 26/06/10 11:41, alex mclennan wrote:
hi all,your going think im nuts but i had a similar problem (sort
of),i was reloading a system with xp for a customer ,it was all
running fine with one stick of ddr2 (2 gig) so i put another identical
stick in.
so i now got 4 gig and my sound device went missing from device
manager,remove what transpires to be a dodgy ram stick ,lo and behold
sound reappears.
a bit of a long shot but test your ram.
cheers alex the noob

Or it could be a dodgy motherboard. I got a board for free from someone on the Ubuntu UK mailing list, it was an old AM2 motherboard and Athlon X2 3800 CPU. I used the board test a CPU (which turned out to be dead). In the end I gave the board and CPU to my dad which he then put with some memory, new case PSU etc.

He had two sticks of memory (2 x 1GB) and the machine was proving to be unstable, with one stick of memory it worked fine, either stick was okay. Turns out one of the slots on the board was faulty.

A replacement board later and all was fine. I still have the board kicking around, one of these days I'm going to build it into a basic PC (probably pop a Sempron in there) and stick a gig of ram in it, would make a reasonable spec PC for the kids to use.

Rob

hi rob a good point i think i will re check the other ram slot on the other computer.
alex the noob