Re: [LUG] OT: Disappearing hardware?

On 18/06/10 08:24, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:52:14 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:

On 17/06/10 22:37, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

My mediacentre has just developed the most peculiar of problems...
the onboard Ethernet device has disappeared.  It was a PCI device
(I forget what it was specifically) but lspci doesn't list it - not
even an unknown device... nothing.  I've been through the BIOS to
see if it's somehow magically been disabled... but BIOS has nothing
about it either.

I'm gonna be chucking in a proper PCI card (I have a couple spare),
but I just thought I'd throw this out there: any of you had devices
just disappear before?

Grant. :)

Nope, I've had devices not being detected (USB sticks usually) but
not just disappearing.

Have you tried looking behind the sofa? :-)

I don't want to even think about what might be behind our sofa!

Seriously though, have you tried booting from a LiveCD to see if it's
detected there?

It's a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu 9.10 machine (no Ethernet in either) and
booting from Ubuntu 10.04 DVD throws up the same issue... no Ethernet.

Could be a motherboard fault maybe.

So long as it's not indicative of more failures to come.

You may find that a PCI card works fine and gets it running for now, but if I was you I'd be looking round for a replacement board.

One other thing you could possibly try is a BIOS update. Long shot but hey you never know.

Rob