Re: [LUG] CCTVs..

On 25/06/10 16:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Maybe not quite Linux, but possibly...

I'm looking for some CCTVs and some of the kits including a DVR look
good - e.g.

http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/cctv-kit-320gb-dvr-4-mini-ccd-infrared-cameras

This one has an Ethernet port and claims file-sharing and live camera
viewing...

However, I'm wondering if anyone's built one using Linux, or has any
suggestions for hardware - outdoor line-powered cameras are a
requirement and 4 cameras would be nice ...

I suppose one option might be to use native IP cameras, but they're
about the same price for 4 plus PSUs, etc. as an all-in-one type of box..

(And the budget is under £300, closer to £200 if possible)

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Gordon

Nearest thing I got to building one was using a webcam and motion software, it wasn't really CCTV, more radio studio web cam streaming. Eventually the webcam was upgraded to an ethernet camera (Edimax wired model).

I vaguely remember seeing PCI CCTV cards advertised in Maplins (can't remember the price). I believe they were analogue video only capture cards which features the BT8x8 chipset which is supported with Video4Linux. The other option is to try and get a couple of cheap analogue TV cards.

Then you could get some CCTV cameras which have a standard composite video connection which could plug into the TV cards (or CCTV card).

I'm not sure how well PoE IP cameras would work outside, I've seen metal/plastic boxes which are sealed available, so I guess they might do the job.

As far as a PC goes, I had a P3 1Ghz running a single camera, it would detect motion (although it was more capturing a frame every couple of seconds and detecting motion that way rather than 25/30 frames per second which would require something a bit more beefy).

Rob