[LUG] Thunderbird redux

So, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to ubuntu 10.04, including
Thunderbird 3.0.4.

Sadly, it was still dog slow.  Perhaps even worse than v2.  And still
used loads of memory.  I tried turning off indexing and not storing
local copies of emails, but didn't get any improvement.

Eventually in desperation I got rid of ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/{ImapMail,
Mail,News,Cache} and it has become far quicker with nothing obviously
going wrong, and is using about 50% of the memory that it used to.

Clearly there's plenty of room for things to go wrong yet, but for the
moment I'm hopeful.

James