Re: [LUG] Fast link over a short distance

On 23/06/10 07:10, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 22/06/10 09:00:37, Rob Beard wrote:
On 21/06/10 21:36, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Not fast enough, 100M would be good, 1000M would be better, we are
moving large files around.

I get the feeling it isn't going to be cheap then if 100M isn't going
to be fast enough. It's a shame you can't stick some fibre through the
sewers :-)

I had a quick look for Microwave links, I'm not sure what sort of
pricing they are, I'm guessing probably expensive.

This company might be able to advise though:

http://www.g4.co.uk/laser_and_microwave_links1.php

I suppose the other option would be to look at getting fibre put in,
but again I'm assuming that wouldn't be cheap even for a short distance.

We thought of the sewer option!
100m would do at a push but I would be a problem on occasions.
I will have a look at that URL.

If you were to lay fibre you should be be able to get into the Gigabit speeds (I'd have thought). Not sure how much it costs, I'm going to be looking into it later for a server room move which may well involve putting some fibre in across a building due to the length limits of CAT5.

Rob