Re: [LUG] LUG funds

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:54:27 +0100
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19/06/10 11:14, Neil Williams wrote:
> It's probably worth mentioning that although not a lot goes on in the
> LUG, there are some of us who are actively trying to promote Linux
> and Open Source to the folks in the outside world, just as other LUGs
> and Open Source groups are doing.

You think I don't?

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=codehelp@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.emdebian.org/
http://www.transifex.net/accounts/profile/codehelp/
http://wiki.debian.org/NeilWilliams

How much more activity in the world outside this LUG would you like?

> Okay so far it's limited to a LUG meeting in Paignton, one in
> Holsworthy(?), the couple of events in Penzance and the couple of odd
> days we've had in Paignton and Exeter but we're at least doing
> something rather than sitting on the mailing list moaning about
> putting the world to rights.

Does that take account of my Debian work (probably one of the most
active Debian developers, certainly the most active DD concerned with
embedded Debian) and my contributions to free software outside and
inside my current daily employment through upstream work which also
goes into Fedora and BSD? Does it include my ongoing voluntary
contributions to this LUG and the server that runs the website of the
LUG, paid for out of that employment?

I lurk on busy lists because I spend the majority of my waking time
contributing to free software. I am not unaware of what goes on in this
LUG or other LUGs all over the world. This LUG contributes far more
than just a few meetings to the free software community and has done
since before I joined this LUG in ten years ago. Some LUGS do more,
quite a few do a lot less.

My commitment to free software and my ongoing contributions to Debian
are the reason I moved out of Devon and Cornwall to come to Cambridge
where my contributions could have a more direct impact. Attending
meetings is no indicator of contributions.

--

Neil Williams