Re: [LUG] software freedom day 2010

On 17/06/10 12:52, Paul Sutton wrote:
Is anyone up for doing something for software freedom day in 2010,  date
below

Saturday 18th September

I am asking now as so that people can book that date ahead and try and
make sure it is kept free.

Venue, I was thinking the lighthouse in Paignton, as I can't think of
anywhere else.

This is a very good idea, we might be able to offer some freebies (Open Disc, Linux Live CDs) and the Lighthouse could probably promote it on their Facebook group to get more visitors.

Would anyone be willing to sponsor such an event or help contact people
who may wish to sponsor it.  I will check to see if people (sponsors)
can set up tables and sell stuff.

I can help where possible. Might be worth trying to get a list of Open Source companies in the area (or companies who are involved with Open Source). So far I can think of Neil, Gordon and Rick Timmis. I believe there is also another company in North Devon who provide services. Didn't Gordon mention he knew of some other companies who might be interested too?

We may also need

demos

We can demo LTSP. Maybe even some other Free Software such as MythTV (if anyone can get a box up and running with some stuff on there, actually I'm planning on doing this over the summer), and also some demonstrations of things like Frets On Fire (a Guitar Hero type game) and Ultrastar (a Singstar type game), both which have a music element which fits in with the Lighthouse.

talks

I'm sure someone could do something.

The recent thread on young people missing out due to use of proprietary
file formats should give a good incentive to try and promote alternatives.

any ideas, comments etc

Get a company to sponsor the Open Disc (Refresh Cartridges maybe?). If they could provide some blank CDs/DVDs, labels and maybe means of duplicating them (couple of DVD burners) then we could give out copies.

If this is Doable I would like to get it booked ASAP,  that way all we
need to do is worry about promotion and the days events. ,  for which we
have a good 3 months,  rest of June,  July then August.  to promote the
event.

Let's talk about it on Saturday.  Do you know if Ally will be there?

I know it didn't work out very well last time,  but this time we can
learn from before and hopefully make a better go of it.

Yep, well since the Lighthouse is becoming popular, this might help bring people in through the door.

Rob