Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

On 17/06/10 13:30, Shaun Orchard wrote:
On 17 June 2010 11:58, Dan Dart<dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
That's not on.

I used OOo and saved to Office, and lost all my drawings of test tubes
and got lower marks.
Disappointed in MS, they must die or be open NOW.

I don't know if it has already been reported or discussed here, but I
obtained a copy of Office 2010, and the first thing it asks after
installation is "do you want to use OOXML or OpenDocument as the
default filetype?"

I tried opening a few odt files and they seem to look okay, but I
don't have anything particularly complex to see how well it handles
it.

I gather the MS Office implementation of OpenDocument format files isn't very good. This could be down to Microsoft following the OpenDocument format to the word or down to the other vendors maybe not working to the word.

I've yet to try Office 2010. I might try and download the ad-supported version and have a play with it on the wife's PC.

Rob