Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On 14/06/10 21:13, paul sutton wrote:
Hi

i currently have ubuntu 9.04 installed on my first hard disk and 10.04
installed on the second

i want to move user data from the first hard disk to the accounts on the
2nd hard disk, can sonmeone help me with regard to the best way to do this,

paul

Open up your home directory in Gnome in the file browser on the one hard drive, and then open the one on the second hard drive, press Control H on the first one to show hidden files, then Control A to select everything and drag it over to the other home directory.

Actually saying that, first of all I'd probably create a new folder in the home directory on the second drive, use Control H to show all hidden files and folders, select them all (apart from the new folder), copy them and paste them into the new folder to back them up just in case anything goes wrong.

Rob