Re: [LUG] Socket A cpus?

Rob Beard wrote:
On 20/05/10 18:12, tom wrote:
David Bell wrote:
On Wednesday 19 May 2010 19:18:46 tom wrote:
Got an old motherboard with a 1.25Ghz Athlon (socket A in it) and
looking to put in a faster one - any one know a retailer

Have you tried Ebay?

Only silly stuff there. I used to use a company (liverpool?) that used
to have old gear but I've lost their details and cant track them down,
I'd like to put in a faster cpu (its a 10 year old mb so it will
probably last a lot longer than a new one) but the e-bay stuff seems to
be on blackmail prices.
I guess I'll have to go to a big town and see if I can find some skips....
Tom te tom te tom

Hmmm... I have a 10 year old motherboard kicking around from my Athlon 1GHz (which I used to overclock to 1.428GHz), the capacitors are going on it, no doubt if the capacitors were replaced it'd work fine.

The problem is though, motherboards at about 10 years old will most likely not support the Athlon XP, you'd need something a little
it is xp compliant. I thought I'd be able to get a 3200+ for about a tenner but in this throwaway society of ours....
Tom te tom te tom