Re: [LUG] Disable graphical boot on Xubuntu 10.04

On 19 May 2010 13:01, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A friend has installed Xubuntu 10.04 on a low-power server and
wants to disable the graphical boot.

By graphical boot, I'm assuming you mean both plymouth on booting and Xorg when it's finished, right?

On Ubuntu derivitives, probably the easiest way to do this is to remove the Xorg packages since it lumps everything under run level 2. On pretty much any other linux system, the best way would be to modify the default run level to only boot into multiuser mode with networking (typically run level 3) by editing the '/etc/inittab' file.

If you still want Xorg to exist and just not start on boot, then you'll have to stop the display manager from running. I'm not 100% sure how the new upstart system works, you would want to stop GDM from loading (I'm assuming Xbuntu still uses GDM, can anyone confirm?). The config for that is in:
/etc/init/gdm.conf

I can't really offer any useful advice on how to edit it, but that should get you going in the right direction.