Re: [LUG] OT: - cleaning w2k box

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/05/10 08:45, tom wrote:
>>
>> I've a w2k box my daughters use( still cant get wine to run properly)
>> and it pings an address every 10 seconds or so so I guess theres a bot
>> or something in there.
>> Its AVG but a scan from that doesn't pick it up - any ideas.
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> Install XFCE? :-)
>
> Seriously though, um... you could try Spybot Search & Destroy
> (www.safer-networking.org) and Malware Bytes (not used it myself but lots of
> people recommend it).

Seconded for MalwareByte's AntiMalware.
1) Download it on a non-suspected/infected machine.  Save it to some
removable media.
2) Boot the Win2k box in safe-mode (with networking?)
3) Install on the Win2k box from the removable media.  Optionally (in
Safe-mode-with-networking mode) update it.
4) Do a full system scan whilst still in Safe Mode.

One of the things I like about MalwareByte's AntiMalware is that it
runs perfectly in safemode... unlike (it would seem) the majority of
other anti-___ware tools.

Grant.