Re: [LUG] Trying different Windows Managers, etc

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 11:06 +0100, paul sutton wrote:

> > Also, things like hovering over a music file starts playing it in the
> > background (to get a 'preview' of it)... might not work either
> > seamlessly or at all if the file manager in question is *not* running
> > within the Desktop Environment.
>
> may be worth noting here that this works with files of a specified size,
> so you can say set things so files smaller than say 5mb will preview,
> anything else wont' this can be changed or it can in gnome.

For audio previewing to work in Nautilus on Ubuntu (maybe others) under
Gnome you need to:

sudo apt-get install mpg321 vorbis-tools

I'll mention it as most seem to run Ubuntu and might be missing that
"feature", if you don't know it *should* do something you don't know
that you could fix it ;))

Correct me if I am wrong on that but I needed to do that on 4 lucid
installs still. Not 100% sure if I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras
before or after that though, the restricted extras *may* pull that in if
I did it back to front ;)

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides