Re: [LUG] Trying different Windows Managers, etc

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the discussion in the Lucid Experiences thread descending into
> window managers, etc, I thought I'd share this for anyone wishing to
> try alternatives:
>
> You can run your own X session within a window on your current
> 'desktop'.  The tool that I've used is called "xephyr" and is available
> via the Debian/Ubuntu package: "xserver-xephyr".

ok. installed...

> To run it simply open up a terminal session and type:
> $ Xephyr :1 -screen 800x600
> (please note the capital X).

Cool. Did that. A blank window pops up. new xsession I presume....

> This will then open a new window that is essentially a completely
> discreet X environment running at 800x600.  Open a new terminal session
> (or a new tab) and run:
> $ xterm -display :1

Did that, got a terminal. Woop!

> This will then start a command-line session *within* the new X
> environment, from here you can run most things.

Could not get firefox to load, in a similar manor, but never mind...

> Note that most GUI apps will take the "-display" (sometimes with
> --display instead of -display) and so can be told to run in a different
> X environment to the one you're currently in.
>
> I found this useful for testing alternative window managers 'back in
> the day'.

I guess I need to install some alternative window managers?! and then
how would I start using them? run them from the terminal in the new
xsession?

I came across this recently, which seems related...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/running-multiple-x-sessions/

I have started a new xsession before using these instructions. But,
unsurprisingly, I get my normal gnome desktop. How would I change this
to say fvwm?

> I appreciate that for some this may be educating your elder female
> relations to create a partial vacuum using the protected ovoid cells
> produced by avians, but the newer members of the GLUG may not be aware
> of this.

ahahahah!

> Grant.

Many thanks