Re: [LUG] Recording telephone when complaining

On Sun, 2 May 2010, Henry Bremridge wrote:

If I use VoIP through my computer, can anyone suggest how I can record
both sides of a telephone call? Currently I just use Twinkle. (I also
use VoIP through Siemens C475i, but as that is used by the wife and
children, I do not really want to record that..)

You could ask your VoIP provider to turn recording on for you... However there then is the issue that it's recording all calls on that account, which everyone using your phones need to be aware of.

(I am tired of speaking to institutions who:
- Record their side of the conversation
- Do not send letters confirming the discussion)

I note that under
        http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm
        Data Protection Act § 36

There does not appear to be a need to inform the other party that the
call is being recorded where you are calling as a genuine individual / domestic
user

Acording to the FSA, Financial orginisations, and indeed any company doing anything involving money over the telephone should be recording their calls too - this could be taken down to the level of the local curry house when you order a takeaway too, however is really aimed at insurance companies, brokers, accountants, etc.

As for recording, yes, it's fully legal and you do not have to tell the other person. (I usually talk over their pre-recorded message telling me that they may be recording it and say "I'm recording it too").

However, what you should then do is make a written (or typed) transcript of the call immediately after and use that in future conversations "when I refer to my written transcript m'lud" ... And if they query the accuracy, you can reply with "I made the transcript from a recording I took of the call", and produce the recording if required.

Wifey used this recently with FlyBe when disputing a flight - with good results... In email she was able to accurately quite the time and date of the call, the persons name who took the call and a few choice phrases from the transcript... More than enough for them to check their recording of it and conceede that they had made a mistake...

Gordon