Re: [LUG] New router

On 29/04/10 16:09, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:
On 29/04/2010 12:22, Edwin Rhodes wrote:
We have a bt home hub router, which has some good features, however
not as
stable as I would like, have to reboot about once a week.
Ed

Edimax make a couple of routers with USB ports.  The BR-6215Srg which I
have has two enabling you to share a USB hard drive as well as printer
over the network.

Be warned though, make sure you have the latest firmware as the hard
disk I had shared on mine was visible over the Internet, despite
deliberately disabling the option.  Once the firmware was updated the
problem went away.  Mine has been in service a couple of years now and
needs resetting every so often, maybe once every couple of weeks at most.

Julian

I have Googled about the Draytek routers. Very expensive. On the other
hand, if it lasts say five years....??

More research needed. Thanks for all the help so far.

Neil

You could possibly be better off getting a replacement router and separate print server, it may work out slightly cheaper and it allows for any changes in technology as you never know what might happen in the future, for all we know BT might have a funny turn and supply Fibre To The Cabinet (VDSL) or Fibre To The Premises (fibre) rendering an ADSL2+ router defunct.

Ahh who am I kidding, we'll probably be stuck with ADSL2+ for the next 10 to 15 years at least ;-)

Rob