Re: [LUG] Ubuntu training for newbies

On 24/04/10 08:08, Vivi Griffin wrote:
On 23 April 2010 21:58, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<snip>

    So all this got me wondering, is there anyone on the list who
    actually does training (maybe for a living, or has the patience to
    sit down with a complete newbie who in their early 60's is getting
    to grips with the internet and e-mail and computing for the first
    time) who could possibly offer my Step-Father some assistance?

    I did say that possibly down the line when the Exwick Community
    Centre and Lighthouse Projects are finished that we might be able to
    offer some basic computer training (possibly for a small fee to go
    towards LUG funds?).

    I also mentioned about the LUG meetings in Paignton and suggested
    maybe my Step-Father could come along to one and maybe sit down with
    someone and go through some of the things.

    I'm not sure how much he was paying this guy from Newton Abbot but I
    thought I'd ask on here anyway.  I've also suggested he gets a book
    on Ubuntu (there is one for newbies listed on Amazon which is coming
    out in June, presumably to cover Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and I'm going to
    look out for the Linux Format guides too in the mean time.

    Would anyone be willing to possibly give him a hand?

    My Step-Father lives in Teignmouth but does drive so he might be
    willing to travel as long as it isn't too far from Teignmouth, or
    maybe someone on the list here might be able to help and travel over
    to Teignmouth?

    Ta,

    Rob

Hi Rob,

I do training and would be happy to set up a course for your
step-father. Unfortunately, as you know, I am quite a way from
Teignmouth. However, I have friends in Torquay and could organise
something there for him, if that isn't too far.

If you / he is interested, I would need a list of topics to cover and I
would need to know the version of Ubuntu that he is using. I would
create a manual for him for reference, afterwards.

regards

Viv

Hi Viv,

That's great, I'm sure he would be able to get to Torquay okay, he does drive (in fact he's popping over to pick up my youngest this morning).

Do you have any idea of how much you'd charge?

At the moment he's a relative newbie, he knows how to turn the laptop on (and shut it down) and open Firefox, I believe he also now has a hotmail e-mail address and can send/receieve e-mails with Hotmail.

I expect he'll need a bit of training on the Internet, I'm not sure how in-depth the training he has already had was, and he has a digital camera so I would guess probably something like being shown how to import photos from his camera to his laptop and then maybe how to save them on to CD/DVD.

If it helps he's running Ubuntu 9.10. I was thinking of maybe upgrading him to 10.04 LTS but setting the theme back to one of the older style themes (as in Ubuntu 9.10, as the new 10.04 theme has even thrown me a bit).

Rob