Re: [LUG] Android on iPhone

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:55:54 +0100
Dan Dart wrote:

I think it's fake. It's insanely difficult to port stuff. We probably
won't get it on 3g.
Though it would be nice to have Maemeemogo on Android devices...

Insanely difficult != impossible :. it may not be fake

It's for real, as far as I can tell rom the various news sites...

Once you have 'root' on the device, re-flashing it shouldn't be a hard task - the hard part is working out the underlying hardware - how do you drive the display, touch screen, etc. and that's information that will be very close to Apples heart - although disection of a device will reveal the physical components which you can then lookup their data sheets, etc. their actual interfacing may be trickier to find.

I'm surprised no-ones ported Android to the N900 yet - that's completely open - the Linux kernel .config file is avalable...

The current kernel on the device I have seems to have suport for LXC Containers (a form of virtualisation) - so it might be possible to run several different OSs under the same kernel if you could work out hardware locking, etc. (ie. not have two OSs try to accept the same incoming call, etc.)

Gordon