Re: [LUG] Email security

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

On 21/04/2010 10:49, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

On 21/04/2010 09:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
If you don't have control of the mail server (and by that I really mean root access), then you're limited to filtering, but you also have to accept that you need to copy all the email off the remote server to your local systems, then filter out the spam as you go.

Not if you use Thunderbird's 'Delete from server' filter action as this deletes mail before it even gets to you.

You think so?

'IF Sender IS NOT in Address Book THEN delete from server' for example.

And how does Thunderbird know the sender? It has to download the email - or just the headers, if it can. So it still downloads something off the server.

All it has to do is check the sender's address which is easy to do manually via Telnet,

So using 'telnet' you connect to the (pop3 or imap) server and ask it for the headers. It still needs to copy data from the server to your PC and that's a download in my book.

so there's no reason for the program not to be able to read it automatically before commencing download.

It needs to read something - at least the headers.

And for that simple test, it's just checking your address-book. How do you get email from people you don't know?

The upshot is the mail never arrives in your Inbox which is the desired outcome. Granted Thunderbird's filters won't filter on the more complex forms of spam detection so those would have to be downloaded I suppose, but that's what the Junk filter is for. Using the 'IF sender IS NOT in Address Book' together with the Junk Filter I find them highly effective.

It means you need to continually add email addresses into your address-book - and regularly check your junk folder to get them - just in-case your long-lost aunt in Peru decides to send you email...

BTW, my main account is Gmail which does filter on the server. The only accounts that don't are my domain accounts, and I could do that for £45 biannually, but frankly I'm a home user, spam isn't a high volume issue (<10 per day) so that's £45 that's staying in my pocket :)

And I wouldn't suggest it goes anywhere else... (Although £90 a year for spam checking seems excessive to me)

The one that does get on my nerves is Thunderbird repeatedly insisting certain emails are Scams. Despite my marking them over and over again as NOT Scams Thunderbird never remembers this. The Scam filter doesn't have a learning mode unlike the Spam filter, and I have no idea why. I've raised it as a query on mozilla.support.thunderbird and the only response I got was a 'me too, I disabled the scam detection' - not very helpful.

Just mark them as spam them...

But wait - how did you see them in the first place if it didn't download them to your in-box on your PC ;-)

Gordon