Re: [LUG] Email security

NW wrote:

> Because she doesn't use TB. She uses XP and outlook express.

Ah finally a fact we can work with.

Outlook Express utilised the same HTML rendering component as IE, which
makes it one of if not the most compromised piece of software in history.

I'd strongly suggest not using Outlook Express.

Heck even I've discovered gapping security holes in Outlook Express.

Not more facts please. Is the email address easily guessable?

Were there attempts to send to it before she started using it?

Do you have logs from when the switch was made, as that might point a
compromised PC belonging to a recipient.

Look at the headers on the spam (and or post it here), make sure it came
the way you think it did. She didn't for example set up a forward from
the old address to the new.

What MTA, what spam precautions in use?

My config has moved on a little since I wrote this, but not much.