Re: [LUG] DIY fibre

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

On 14/04/10 11:35, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, tom wrote:

I'd be happy with a meg right now!

It's an intersting setup, but I bet it's cost them a fortune to get
going. But them my own experiences of bringing broadband into a
"community" were rather bad, so I'm cynical about the whole thing.

So - 400 people raised £37,000 - just under £100 a person, but then
there will be the running costs ...

They've unbundled a village - or by the looks of it, unbundled the local
street cab, and installed their own cabinet, brought in a 40Mb pipe from
"London" (Not direct to Rutland I bet, but hey ho) and that in itself is
going to cost a small fortune.

So hats off to them for doing it - I just hope it's sustainable... The
ones I was invovled with wern't )-:

What happens though if someone abuses the system and tries to download a whole whack of stuff at 40MBit/sec?

They can't - it's "up to" 24Mb to the houses, so they have a mini ADSL2+ DSLAM in their cabinet. So that initially provides a degree of protection.

I presume the idea is that not everyone will be downloading large ISOs etc at the same time.

I think the idea is that it's a village of old fuddy duddy businessmen who won't know what an ISO is ...

However, the monthly cap is 10GB for £30 (which includes the phone line rental)

I also wonder (going on what you've said in the past Gordon), how long it'll be before BT enable the exchange and undercut this Rutland Telecom.

The exchange is enabled - it's just that this village is way out in the sticks - they say that the best they can get is 3.5Mb/sec. (From their website: Average in Rutland for other ISPs: 3.55 Mbps)

So what they've done is run a high-speed connection from an ISP to their own mini data centre (a green street cab), then unbundled the BT lines
from the BT cab next door into their own cab and off they go...

We actually looked at this as a proposition for Buckfastleigh - 7 years ago. We were going to put the cabinet outside the BT exchange..

It's actually a good solution for small rural communities ... IF you can get the high speed connection to the cabinet in the first place, and that means paying someone (e.g. BT) to run the fibre for you, then connect the far-end to an ISP (which you could be running yourself), then you could offer Internet via your own DSLAM and leave the copper connected to BT for the phones, but take over line and billing from BT to offer a competitive package...

And if BT can run the Fibre To The Cabinet then ... FTTC ... Now where have I heard that before ... The cynic in me, like you, keeps telling me that this is what BT will do if they think it's commercially viable - as that exactly how they wiped out all the Wi-Fi operators 7 years ago.

Still fair play to them if it all works out.

Indeed.

Gordon