Re: [LUG] DIY fibre

On 14/04/10 11:35, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, tom wrote:

I'd be happy with a meg right now!

It's an intersting setup, but I bet it's cost them a fortune to get
going. But them my own experiences of bringing broadband into a
"community" were rather bad, so I'm cynical about the whole thing.

So - 400 people raised £37,000 - just under £100 a person, but then
there will be the running costs ...

They've unbundled a village - or by the looks of it, unbundled the local
street cab, and installed their own cabinet, brought in a 40Mb pipe from
"London" (Not direct to Rutland I bet, but hey ho) and that in itself is
going to cost a small fortune.

So hats off to them for doing it - I just hope it's sustainable... The
ones I was invovled with wern't )-:

Gordon

What happens though if someone abuses the system and tries to download a whole whack of stuff at 40MBit/sec?

I presume the idea is that not everyone will be downloading large ISOs etc at the same time.

I also wonder (going on what you've said in the past Gordon), how long it'll be before BT enable the exchange and undercut this Rutland Telecom.

Still fair play to them if it all works out.

Rob