Re: [LUG] Firefox 3.6 and java

NW wrote:

> I still have my earlier version of FF installed so I think that I will
> stay with that one. I really can't be bothered with all this messing
> about. If the FF people wanted to change the Java requirements the least
> they could have done is make it all much easier to set up.

They have - it works very well in most places.

Indeed I think it looks in too many places for plugins and other
components that vary between distro. The stock Mozilla looks in over 10
directories for some items so it works between distros and the like. A
case of where it would be better to leave it to the distro packages to
list just the relevant folders.

Saying which - Why not let your distro take care of this for you?

Aside from Youtube moaning about an old browser Debian Lenny has
backported security fixes into Iceweasel, and it all just works.

And you can install the SUN JRE from non-free and keep it all up to date
the normal distro way.

Sure you have a slightly older browser (and slower at the moment) but it
all just works and integrates nicely and I don't have to do anything
special.

I download the Mozilla Firefox at work, but that is just because I need
to find the new problems Mozilla introduce ASAP.

Downloading different apps from all over the Internet and using
different protocols and methods to keep them all up to date sounds like
a recipe for a security nightmare - if you want to run computers that
way try Microsoft Windows ;)

 Simon