[LUG] Firefox 3.6 and java

Yesterday I started FF version 3.0.19, at the time my current version,
and was told to upgrade to v 3.6 as it would be more secure. Being a
good obedient boy!! I did as I was told. The download was a zip file. I
unzipped it into /usr/local/bin to avoid any clashes with the old one.

Now, it all runs very well and it has found my plug-ins and bookmarks.
It all seems very good except that it has not found java for me. The
older version had java running nicely so I know that I have the program
installed.

Looking at the FF help files etc I am asked to download java to my
computer to get it to work on the new version. So my questions are,
why do I need to install something that I already have installed? Why
didn't v3.6 find it? Will I have any problems if I do install the new
version of java?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? The new version is
not much use to me as it stands.

Neil Winchurst