Re: [LUG] (g)ftp and passwords

Steven CÃtà wrote:

> If I were to speculate wildly, I'd guess that the system and the
> webclient support passwords  greater than 16 characters long, but the
> ftp server does not. That would explain why the password is being
> changed, but only works if the password is 16 chars or less.

I'd speculate that the admin system restricts to 14 character passwords.

Without knowing FTP software in use 34sp.com seems to use Redhat for
some services, and most FTP servers for Linux use PAM, so no problems there.

However plesk has a known 14 character password, which is to restrict it
to a lowest common denominator (not always a good thing when it is
security at stake) for systems plesk supports.

A quick Google for 34sp.com and plesk suggests it may be in use.