[LUG] (g)ftp and passwords

I changed the FTP password for my wife's website, which is hosted at
34sp.com, using the web admin tool provided by them. I then tried to
login using the new password, which didn't work; both gftp and ftp
(cli) said the password was incorrect. I tried again (including
changing the password) and then again, to no avail, even checked if
the old password still worked and it didn't. Then I changed the
password by removing its last three characters; the password was now
14 characters long, just like the old password. This worked.

Before I get back to 34sp: is this perhaps a known issue in (g)ftp?

I know some systems only use the first n characters of a password (n
could be 16 in this case) and discard the rest, but my understanding
of how passwords work doesn't explain why using a longer password
could screw things up.

Martijn.