Re: [LUG] Potential new Linux user near Holsworthy - Needs laptop & some help getting started?!

Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi All,

Many thanks to all that replied to this post. I forwarded your advice
and Kim was *very* grateful. thank you :-)

I think she going hold out for a laptop, although I will stress your
suggestions that a really cheap or even free (as Rob mentioned)
desktop would be a good interim solution.

I will keep you posted as to what she decides to do.

Good luck with it all.  I've just been over to see well, I guess customer (a
friend of a friend) who I provided a PC to for their local charity project.
 The PC is running Ubuntu and was fine until an update borked the NVidia
drivers (they are using a basic 15" LCD TV which doesn't do 1024x768 very
well, I believe it's above the panel's native resolution.  Rather than mess
around with NVidia drivers (which I had the hassle of last time) I installed
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 over the existing Ubuntu install.  Luckily I'd
created a separate partition for /home, 45 mins or so later they were back
up and running again.  Now if it was Windows I think I would have been there
the best part of the day.

The comment of the day would have to be "Ubuntu is so quick compared to
Windows", and it's a modest spec PC - Athlon XP 2000+ (about 1.6GHz IIRC),
512MB Ram and an 80GB hard drive.

Maybe when I have some more time I'd suggest they upgrade their laptop to
Ubuntu from XP.

That reminds me, I still haven't sorted out the bit of free Ubuntu promotion
with them, considering Ubuntu 10.04 is being released at the end of the
month, it might be a great time to get the article in the Herald Express and
see if we can get a mention of the possible upcoming install day.

Rob

Hi Rob,

 Luckily I'd created a separate partition for /home
That sounds like a very sensible idea. Mentally noted!

"Ubuntu is so quick compared to Windows"
Result! :-)   (see below...)

 it might be a great time to get the article in the Herald Express and see > if we
can get a mention of the possible upcoming install day.
Sounds good.

Last night I went round to my friends (Ian) and showed him linux mint (live cd).

I spent about 4-5 hours (left at 1am!) discussing open source and some
of its history (Stallman, Linus - the bits that i know at least). He
totally loved it! I set him off using the command line and he really
liked the directness of it and enjoyed learning about various options
he could pass to common commands. He was impressed with the manual
(man) and we made his kids chuckle using "banner". I know,.... we
should really get a life! lol.

You should go over and show him the filters, that kept me amused for a while :-)
He is going to install it to disk (when I next go over), making it the
default OS on that box and begin his linux journey (hopefully)
Sounds good, I did the same eventually after having Windows and Linux dual booting, in the end I ditched Windows and went cold turkey. It did me well because I'd already been using Firefox and OpenOffice (albeit very early versions of both) so switching wasn't so bad. I found that if I didn't know how to do something I had to actually learn how to do it.

On the other hand, dual booting or maybe running in a VM on top of Windows can sometimes be useful (although I found I got distracted with the things that I wanted to do but didn't know how to do on Linux when I was doing this).
I hoped to "clinch-the-deal" by showing off what a linux desktop is
capable of. I emailed him the following link...

http://maketecheasier.com/10-of-the-best-linux-desktop-customization-screenshots-to-inspire-your-creativity/2008/11/28

Nice, I do like some of those desktops, especially with the transparent terminal windows and the dock.
So - a good day for open source. :-) haha!
Yep. I'm installing Ubuntu 10.04 tonight (well assuming I can backup my data before the wife gets back at 10pm). Having played with it a bit more today, I'm starting to get a little bit more used to the new window controls being on the left. It seems though that changing themes doesn't move the controls and I couldn't remember what settings to change in gconf-editor :-)

Rob