Re: [LUG] Potential new Linux user near Holsworthy - Needs laptop & some help getting started?!

Roland Tarver wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> This is amazingly co-incidental! Recently I have been chatting to an
> old school friend (Kim). I have not spoken to her in years! Anyhow,
> she lives near Holsworthy and needs a new laptop because her current
> one is "smoking" (literally!!!).
>
> In addition she is a little strapped for cash at the moment. She was
> looking into buying a new laptop from a catalogue and paying for it in
> instalments. :-s.
>
> Instead, I suggested she get an older (cheap) laptop and run a Linux.
> I have already pointed out many of the benefits of Linux, it being
> free from cost is probably the largest immediate advantage for her. I
> think she warmed to the idea, but she does NOT have an interest in
> computers - she just wants it to work (easily without (much) fuss).
>
> Her requirements are quite simple:-
> 1. Wireless internet (facebook)
> 2. Chatting on web cam on MSN. *
> 3. Plays a lot of games on bigfish (this is a web site).
> 4 .Internet shopping
> * - I do not know of an msn compatible web cam program for Linux. ?
> NB. No one else will use the laptop.

amsn
the new version of pidgin, not sure what its called.

> I was wondering if there were any kind folks in the Holsworthy area
> that could assist?
>
> Does anyone have an older laptop that they could sell to her? (Even,
> perhaps, install Linux first - asking a lot I know!!!!)
>
> Perhaps one could be sourced form the local computer shop?
>
> I was thinking of Linux mint as a distro? (I am yet to check its
> minimum sys. requirements) but would anyone be able to help her out
> with some of the setup problems or differences from windows that she
> is, arguably, likely to encounter?
>
> I have mentioned the up coming meeting to her.
>
> Many thanks
> Best wishes
> Roly

Sounds good,  the lug has an opportunity to help, in doing so they
represent the overall Open source community as knowledgeable and helpful

one less windows user in the world is a good thing,  one satisfied Linux
user is far more important.

a good reason i think to encourage regular meetings,  in North Devon.

Paul
- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net