Re: [LUG] Wifi printer

On 04/03/10 12:37, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 03/04/2010 11:53, NW wrote:
>> My current printer, Epson photo 810, is getting a bit old now. At home
>> we have three computers using Windows XP, Kubuntu Hardy and Mint Gloria.
>> It has been suggested to me that I should get a wifi printer next so
>> that it will be easy for any computer to use it. At the moment only the
>> desktop (Hardy) is linked to it.
>>
>> I suspect that there will be a shortage of Linux drivers for many of
>> these wifi printers.
>>
>> Any suggestions for me anyone please?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Hi Neil,
>
> Alternatively you could swap out your current router for one of the many
> now available with a USB port for a printer.  I've done this previously
> with Linux and just put the IP address of the router into CUPS to share
> in Linux as an LPR printer - as usual they come with instructions and/or
> a driver disk for Windows.  Then you can just buy any printer you like.
> OK a new router is an additional cost, but it would be offset against
> the expense of a WiFi capable printer.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I didn't need to reconfigure CUPS at all.. I attached my new HP Laser
printer to the network (many WiFi AP's) and cups went "Oh look.. a new
HP laser printer.. I've set it all up for you.."

Then every other machine in the house did the same..

If only windows printing configs were that simple eh ?

If you can afford it, HP Colour Laserjet CP1515N.. (N = network
interface) if you want duplex, add a D, extra paper tray a T (DTN for
example)

If you want I can supply you with one, at a charge, and also
install/configure ;-)

- --
Neil Stone LPIC-1 NCLA DCTS
Director
FlashTek UK Limited

W: www.flashtek-uk.com
T: 01752 547427
M: 07878 763185
F: 01752 547870

Are you an idiot? If not, let French & Saunders show you how to save
money! Go to:
http://www.uwdcvideos.co.uk/index.taf?exref=D82735&v=1