Re: [LUG] Linux to the rescue part2

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 11:11 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Simon Waters wrote:
>
> > NatWest have gone with making your end point a card reader they send
> > you. So that the secure channel is between the bank and the card reader.

The coopbank solution seems OK to me. They send you a little card reader
gizmo and when you want to transfer money between accounts you put your
card in the gizmo and enter your PIN. Then you enter the 8 digit number
displayed on the website on to the gizmo. This generates a number on the
gizmo which has to be entered on the website (of course you've already
done all the usual log on stuff, sort code, acc No. secret number and 1
of 4 random passwords).

There is no secure channel as such

So either the fraudster has gizmo, card and pin, plus all other details,
or a fake site which replicates the entire functionality of coop bank it
seems pretty difficult to be ripped off. If it is possible I'd really
like to know how? (as a matter of interest because other than iris or
fingerprint readers I can't think of anything safer).

Simon