Re: [LUG] Linux to the rescue part2

tom wrote:

> I'm sure banks could come up with very secure methods
> online - irrespective of how shit your home OS is security wise.

It isn't possible without some sort of out of band communication. In any
transaction to have a secure channel you need to be sure that both ends
are who they say they are.

If your OS is compromised it is game over at step one for most online
banking systems. When you can't point a browser at a URL or IP address
and expect it to deliver content from your bank, when you can't trust
your SSL library, you have to do something else to establish trust and
that brings in expense and complexity.

NatWest have gone with making your end point a card reader they send
you. So that the secure channel is between the bank and the card reader.
Although this may still be exploitable if none of the information on
your screen is trustworthy, since that screen includes information on
what to do if something goes wrong. i.e. You select "Pay Electricity
company", but this is sent to the bank as "Pay crook", and the
transaction you sign is thus pay crook, and when you think something is
wrong you ring the phone number of the website and tell them any extra
data they need to "authenticate yourself".

Probably the "cheapest" solution would be to authenticate all online
transactions via SMS, so someone has to steal your mobile phone and
compromise your PC. Although that doesn't work well for banking done
using your mobile phones browser if the phone has been owned.